About Us saturday chef recipe
Italian Breakfast Cake
Original date aired: May 29th, 2010
I have to say, the Italians really know how to live! They even have cake for breakfast. Here's a wonderful recipe I came across during a recent trip to Italy for a cake you can serve for breakfast, brunch or anytime at all.
Join me next week on Global TV's Saturday Morning News and learn how to make "Cheddar, Ham & Green Onion Biscuits". Check back after the show for the recipe.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter bottom of a 9 inch diameter spring form pan.
- Blend flour, sugar and salt in processor for 5 seconds. Add butter and process, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add yolks and vanilla and blend until dough holds together. Press dough onto bottom of prepared pan.
- Mix cranberries, pecans, cinnamon and sugar in a medium bowl. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake cake until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Sift powdered sugar over cake.
CHEF JUDY WOOD